DescriptionDurham Castle began as a Norman earthwork motte and bailey fortress which was built around the year 1072 by "Waltheof", Earl of Northumberland. Some time during the 12th century Bishop Ranulph Flambard founded the stone castle on the site and over the centuries, the subsequent Bishops of Durham have transformed the Castle into an impressive episcopal palace. The large "motte" supports an irregular octagonal "keep" which was rebuilt in about 1840 on its 14th century foundations. The site is now owned by The University of Durham. This is one of a series of photos taken by Ed Mason whilst in Durham City on 29th & 30th August 2009.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30937273@N06/3874420757/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 10 months ago
Viewed: 378 times
Picture Taken: Unknown