Tyne and Wear HER(786): Longbenton village

  • Description

    "Long Benton (Magna Benton) was a member of the barony of Merlay or Morpeth. The barony dates from the beginning of the C12, though whether Benton is explicitly named before the C13 is not clear. When the barony was divided after 1266 so was Benton, one half ending up with the Brandlings of Gosforth, the other with the Stotes of Jesmond. Though there were few freeholders in the Middle Ages, it was a large village, there being 14 taxpayers in 1296, 18 in 1312. It was an exceptionally long, 2-row, settlement, stretching from Four Lane Ends (W) to the modern Tynedale Terrace (E)...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/786
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 421 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES