Eston: St Helen's Church interior, 1983 - Chancel
DescriptionView looking into the chancel with the Ward Jackson memorial - damp patch above vestry door shows people have been climbing onto the roof and breaking the slates. St. Helens, the old Parish church of Eston, dates back to around 1100. Back In 1998, the church had been disused for around 15 years and repeatedly burned out, partially demolished by local vandals - even the vestry had been stolen in its entirety for its stone. Despite being a Grade II listed building, permission had been granted by English Heritage and local authorities for its demolition. Fortunately Beamish stepped in at the last moment to rescue the church for preservation. We carefully deconstructed it stone by stone for rebuild on the Museum site and work has recently begun on the reconstruction of the Church next to Pockerley Old Hall. For more information on the history of the church, visit http://collections.beamish.org.uk/pages/estonchurch" >our website.
LicenseWhat does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/36275059@N02/5640146985/
Resource type: Image
Last modified: 8 years, 1 month ago
Viewed: 655 times
Picture Taken: Unknown