6 - Witton le Wear
Description‘The Road to Albalanda’ By Samuel Tuke Richardson of Darlington c.1896 ‘Arrived in Witton they drove to a little old fashioned Inn where the nags were baited whilst some of the party sketched, then lunch was discussed in the quaint underground parlour of the Inn, & a most excellent veal & ham pie made by the skilful hands of Mrs Eleanor Postlethwaite the coachman’s wife being greatly enjoyed was greatly relished & ultimately disappeared, it was generally supposed through the exertions of the guard. About 1.30 they once more took the road for Stanhope a distance of about 14 miles this proved to be a very nice road skirting the river Wear nearly the whole way, which made it doubly interesting to the coachman & his sister as they had first seen the Light not far from the banks of the river, [at Sunderland]. Anon they passed Harperley Park the seat of the Wilkinson family one of whom supplied the first Bishop to the new see of Truro. Not far from Harperley they found themselves in Wolsingham an uninteresting place though boasting of a fine church’.
LicenseWhat does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/36275059@N02/9530270376/
Resource type: Image
Last modified: 7 years, 1 month ago
Viewed: 690 times
Picture Taken: Unknown