Lady Gillford's House, January 2009

  • Description

    "The house was built in 1829 as a private residence. It is a grade II* listed building - for architectural details see Images of England http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=386825 . Previously called Petteril Bank House, now named after Lady Gillford who lived there for several years in the early 20th century. In the mid 20th century the site was acquired by Cumbria County Council. It ran a furniture factory here for about 50 years, employing disabled people. The enterprise relocated in 2003, the workshop buildings were demolished and the house left boarded up. When this picture was taken, work had just started to redevelop the site as an archive centre, which opened in 2011 - see [[5371166]] . Compare this view with one of the restored house taken from a similar direction in 2017 [[5371188]] . (Description updated May 2017)" Photo by Rose and Trev Clough, 2009.
  • Owner

    Rose and Trev Clough
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1136750
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month ago
    Viewed: 37 times
    Picture Taken: 2009-01-25
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES