St Mary the Virgin, Holystone

  • Description

    "....Very little remains of the original Norman building, which was demolished by the Revd. Aislaby Proctor in 1848 and completely rebuilt using the same Durham architect George Pickering, that he was to employ at Alwinton four years later. The dedication to “St. Mary the Virgin” who was patroness of the Augustinian priory is post reformation. It is more than likely that the plan of the church was determined by that of the building used by the nuns, and which George Pickering was keen to preserve, hence its simplicity, which creates an atmosphere of peace and calm. The style of the choir, which along with the vestry and boiler house was added in 1848, is 12th century and the lower parts of the south wall are pre-Victorian. The nave is built on the foundations of the priory choir and contains the most ancient points of interest...."
  • Owner

    Parish of Upper Coquetdale
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://coquetdaleanglican.org/holystone/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 116 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES