First World War memorial, Durham Cathedral

  • Description

    "This is the Durham County war memorial, located on a grassy slope beneath the eastern side of the cathedral. View from North Bailey. The memorial column is in a similar style to the piers inside the cathedral. The spiral carving incorporates items of military kit, such as a helmet, grenade and water bottle. There is an elaborate cross at the top. No names are recorded, there is just an inscription on the plinth with the dates 1914-1918. Designed by C.H. Reilly and carved by Tyson Smith, unveiled in 1928. More information and photos available at the North East War Memorials Project http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=9903 ." Photo by Rose and Trev Clough, 2016.
  • Owner

    Rose and Trev Clough
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5092637
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 months ago
    Viewed: 199 times
    Picture Taken: 2016-07-23
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES