Wesley Memorial Fountain, Quayside

  • Description

    "The fountain is the centrepiece of Wesley Square, an area of the Quayside below the new Law Courts. It is inscribed: 'Near this spot, John Wesley preached his first sermon in Newcastle upon Tyne, Sunday May 30th 1742'. The fountain was commissioned in 1891 by local Methodists on the centenary of Wesley's death. Like many of these fountains, it is no longer connected to the water supply. The retaining wall below the road on the left side stands on the line of the medieval town wall demolished on the Quayside in 1763. The new sandstone wall is carved with a relief showing landmarks along the course of the River Tyne from sea to source by Neil Talbot in 1996." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2166438
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 87 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-11-18
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES