CHURCH OF ST PAUL - Jarrow - List Entry

  • Description

    Parish Church, formerly two separate churches, part of the monastery of St Paul. Foundation 681-2 with gift by King Ecgfrith to Benedict Biscop, Abbot of Wearmouth; 685 dedication stone of basilica resited in nave over arch to tower. Eastern Saxon church is present chancel; tower Norman but may incorporate Saxon fabric; former basilica, is present nave, rebuilt 1782. 1866 alterations and additions of large north aisle and north porch by George Gilbert Scott; 1972 restoration....
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1355091
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 4 months, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 107 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES