United Reformed Church, Main Street, Cockermouth

  • Description

    "Grade II Listed church of 1856. The Cockermouth United Reformed Church (from 1972) was established in 1651 as the Cockermouth Independent Church and later the Congregational Church. An early 18th century chapel (1719 replaced 1735), now a dwelling, previously the Sunday school, stands behind the present building. The listing dates the building to 1856 but it opened under the stewardship of Reverend Portas Hewart Davison on 11th September 1850. It was built at a cost of £2,200 and contained sufficient seating for 500. Major modifications took place in the early 1990s when the church was divided horizontally; the lower part being converted into a general purpose function room with kitchen and toilets while the upper floor remained as the place of worship." Photo by Jo and Steve Turner, 2023.
  • Owner

    Jo and Steve Turner
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/7527379
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 69 times
    Picture Taken: 2023-06-11
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES