Beldon lead mine and ore works at Beldon Shields

  • Description

    ".....The monument includes the remains of Beldon lead mine and ore works, situated on two levels on the floor of the narrow Beldon Burn. The Beldon mine worked a number of small lead veins but the extent of the underground workings are unclear. The visible remains of the lead mine and ore works belong to two separate periods. The first ran from the 18th century, when the mine opened, until its closure by 1820. The mine was enlarged in 1805, when it is thought that a Boulton and Watt steam engine was installed. The mine along with the ore works was worked once again during the 1860s-70s. The remains of the lead mine are visible as a series of earthworks and ruined buildings and structures. Acess to the mine was gained by two stone lined shafts, both of which are thought to belong to the first phase of mining...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1016462
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 10 months ago
    Viewed: 169 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES