Tyne and Wear HER(15543): Newcastle, Northumberland Street

  • Description

    "In the 18th century it was a suburb of the medieval town, with three-storey brick houses. Originally called Bath Road because it led to the old Northumberland Baths opened in 1839 (replaced 1928). Old deeds mention the number of riggs each medieval plot contained - a reminder of town fields here, outside the town wall. At the north end, the proportions of these houses may be discerned above garish modern shop fronts. C.1890 named Northumberland Road. Further south the 20th century takes over. Large shops were developed here in the early 1930s...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://twsitelines.info/SMR/15543
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 11 months ago
    Viewed: 110 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES