Ulverston

  • Description

    "Borough and market town in Ulverston parish, Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands. Became Ulverston UD 1894.....manor or barony of Ulverston held by Turulf 1066; subsequently formed part of honour of Lancaster. On division of honour after 1246, Ulverston was held in moieties; one passing to Furness Abbey by early 14th century; other granted to Roger de Lancaster by 1260s, from whose descendants it was acquired by Harrington family and descended with Muchland (see Aldingham). Both moieties came to Crown in 16th century (on Dissolution of Furness Abbey 1537 and forfeiture of duke of Suffolk 1554, respectively)...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/ulverston
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 10 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 139 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES