DescriptionNorthern Echo, 7th June 2013. ".....The first real mention of a Market Cross in Darlington is in 1313, when the Bishop of Durham, Richard Kellaw, ordered that a proclamation be read from it banning Darlingtonians from taking part in any unlicensed jousts. A new market cross is recorded as being erected in 1577 at the top of Tubwell Row. This became badly weathered and, in 1727, kindly Dame Dorothy [Browne] replaced it. It stayed on top of four steps at the top of Tubwell Row, surrounded by market stalls and with coffins resting on it as the last stopping place on their way to a funeral in St Cuthbert's Church, until July 4, 1862, when it was taken down to make room for the new Covered Market. When themarket opened, it was placed in its centre, but in 1955, it was placed in the council depot in Hundens Lane. It languished in packing cases until 1993 when it was placed on four steps at the top of Horsemarket.....
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/history/10471928.schoolboy-error/
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Splat
Last modified: 8 months ago
Viewed: 106 times
Picture Taken: Unknown