Thockrington Northumberland

  • Description

    Medieval base and shaft of a preaching cross stands in the churchyard of the church of St Aidan, Thockrington Northumberland The east end is 13c, the chancel Norman with 12c windows, walls, 2 arches and frieze. Later work can be dated to the 17c when the bellcote was added. The nave was partly rebuilt in the 19c. This is one of the oldest sites of Christianity, and there was a church here which can be traced to the 1200s. It is believed it was actually founded c 1100 by the Umfravill family In 1246 it was acquired from Richard de Umfravill by Archbishop Gray of York, 'in compensation for his having violated the liberty and peace of the Priory of Hexham, and for having inflicted injury upon the Archbishop's land'. Documentary evidence of the village population dates back at least to 1296 when 18 tax payers are recorded in the Lay Subsidy Roll The Archbishop assigned the church and its revenues as an endowment for a prebend in his cathedral . This arrangement lasted 625 years, until the death of the last prebend in 1851, when it was merged into the diocese of Durham, and later transferred to Newcastle. The dedication to St Aidan is relatively modern, and any earlier dedication is unknown A 14c sandstone lady wearing kerchief, wimple and kirtle, with left hand clutching at the cord which fastens her mantle lies in effigy on the floor . https://flic.kr/p/LFUtD" rel="noreferrer nofollow">flic.kr/p/LFUtD There are many members of the famous Shafto family buried here,. They lived at nearby Bavington until their support of the Jacobite cause in 1715 led to their lands being confiscated by the Crown and sold to the Admiral George Delaval who on his death in 1723, bequeathed the estate to his brother-in-law George Delaval Shafto, thus restoring it back to the family, The church was surrounded by 25 - 30 village houses as well as farms, until 1847, when a returning sailor brought cholera with him: the village was wiped out and all its houses burned, leaving the church in splendid isolation As well as the Shaftoes, the graveyard has many stones bearing the names of Border Reiver families: Armstrong, Milburn & Robson . The imposing Shaftoe obelisk, incongruous for its pink granite, contrasts with the modest round-headed stones of Sir William Beveridge & wife, who produced the Beveridge Report in 1942 which influenced the founding of the welfare state and formed the basis of the post-war social security system. https://www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/wX4538Y560">www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/wX4538Y560 A plain initialled lump of rock marks the grave of Connie Leathart, one of the first British female pilots. https://www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/KU9d23VjJg">www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/KU9d23VjJg Picture with thanks - copyright Andrew Curtis CCL https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6667493" rel="noreferrer nofollow">www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6667493
  • Owner

    jmc4 - Church Explorer
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52219527@N00/52520686446/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 105 times
    Picture Taken: 2020-11-04T14:21:43
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES