The Poind & His Man

  • Description

    "Old name given to the standing stone and an adjacent round cairn of Late Neolithic or early Bronze Age date situated on a prominent position on the top of a small hill. The cairn was partly opened in the 19th century and a stone coffin or cist was found within it. The standing stone, originally one of two, is 6m south of the cairn. A second stone which is thought to have stood to the north-east was reportedly moved to Wallington Hall in the early 18th century [[1941576]] The cairn and the standing stones were first mentioned in 1552 when the Order of the Marches, a law code for the border region between England and Scotland, said that 'watch be kept at the stones'. A natural sandstone outcrop called [[4226523]] can be seen behind." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2014.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4226462
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 224 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-10-31
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES