Description"A stone plaque set into the façade above the entrance would seem to suggest that this building was erected in 1882. This is incorrect. On the 16th May 1810, foundation stones were laid on this site, in the presence of a large gathering, for what was to be a Wesleyan Chapel. The chapel opened sometime later and continued to be used as such until 1870, when it was replaced by a new Wesleyan Chapel on Front Street Tynemouth on the site where Timothy Duff Court now stands. In 1882 alterations were carried out to the building so that it could be used as a Sunday School. A later photograph shows that the current stone date plaque was merely part of a larger stone frieze set into the then brick façade of the building which bore the wording, "Wesleyan AD 1882 School". In 1972 the building was purchased by the Tynemouth Priory Theatre Club, and converted into a 189-seat theatre. The theatre club, which is a registered charity, was formed in 1946 by Miss Ria Thompson with the first plays being performed in Holy Saviour's Parish Hall, Manor Way, Tynemouth. For a selection of detailed free to download walking routes in the area visit www.northtynesidewalks.co.uk" Photo by Geoff Holland, 2021.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6768919
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 2 months ago
Viewed: 174 times
Picture Taken: 2021-03-02