• Description

    "Chapelry and township in Heversham parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland....passed by marriage of Helen daughter of Anselm de Furness to Ralph Deincourt of Sizergh in early 13th century; descended with Sizergh to Stricklands who held it until 1674, when Sir Thomas Strickland enfranchised the tenants. Economy: predominantly agricultural. Mills on St Sunday’s Beck: Halfpenny Mill (flax by mid-19th century; later uses: coconut matting, paper and sweet manufacture; closed early 20th century); Low Bridge (bobbin making, 1825 to c.1865)...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 151 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.