CHURCH OF ST JOHN - Barrow - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church, on site of earlier church. 1934-35. By Paget and Seeley of London. Ferroconcrete with concrete and green slate roofs. Cruciform plan with enlarged crossing and with lean-tos against the nave and transepts; arcaded loggia leads to west porch; chancel has round apse, south organ chamber with bell tower and south vestry. Byzantine style. Loggia: 6 round arches to west and 4 to east. Lean-to against nave lit by two 3-light mullioned windows....red sandstone font. Other fitments brought from earlier church: eagle lectern; wooden pulpit; choir stalls with carvings designed by Clifford Green and executed by FJ Lord 1922 (both of Barrow). C19 stained glass to west windows: 3 panels depict St John, St Mary and Dorcas. The old church consecrated 1879. Foundation stone of this church laid 15.12.1934; consecration 28.9.1935...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1197868
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 197 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES