Description"The 'Pontem de Haydon' was referred to in an inquest in March 1309, and it was in need of repair in 1336 when a grant of pontage for four years was issued to Anthony de Lacy. 'Haiden-brigg' is also mentioned in the Knights of the Shire in 1381 and for running repairs in 1426. The present bridge dates from soon after the 'Great Flood' of 1771 which destroyed all bridges over the Tyne except for the one at Corbridge. (To get an idea of the height of the 'Great Flood of 1771, it is recorded that the towns folk at Corbridge could, by leaning over the parapets, wash their hands in the river!) In December 1806 one arch,of 95ft span, fell into the river which necessitated rebuilding three arches at the north end. The bridge was widened in 1824, and has been closed to vehicles since 1969 when the New Bridge was built." Photo by Matthew Hatton, 2016.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5177250
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 6 months ago
Viewed: 211 times
Picture Taken: 2016-10-06