St Edmund’s Church, Sedgefield

  • Description

    "The parish of Sedgefield was founded by Bishop Cutheard sometime between AD 900 and AD 915, and a wooden church would have been built. With the coming of the Normans a stone church with rounded arches as in Durham Castle would have been built and in the year 1085 Ulchild became the first recorded Rector. The present church was built between 1246-1256 with later additions (the tower dates from 1490) and is dedicated to St. Edmund the Bishop, that is Edmund Rich, Archbishop of Canterbury. This dedication is rare in England. The church tower ( 90 feet high)is visible for miles around...."
  • Owner

    Parish of the Upper Skerne
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.upperskerne.org.uk/site.php?action=article&id=125
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 278 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES