CHURCH OF ST GEORGE - South Moor - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. 1897 by J.W. Thompson. Thinly-rendered sandstone rubble with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with red ridge tiles and stone gable copings. Nave with south porch and north transept vestry; chancel with north organ chamber and porch. Gabled south porch has triple-chamfered 2-centred arch, with wide moulded stops; boarded double doors with elaborate hinges; gable coping, roll moulded gable finial and moulded kneelers....Glass includes window in south aisle 1923 by Baguley; south chancel windows Sts. Mary, George and Michael, the Michael of high quality. Octagonal stone font; very high quality pews throughout, the 1937 gift of subscribers named on west wall plaque, by Thompson of Masham; thick, square-ended adze-dressed oak, with simple alternate-chiselled decoration on ends; mouse carved in three places. Ogee oak font cover also by Thompson of Masham...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1260778
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 344 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES