Alston Moor

  • Description

    "Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland. Includes market town of Alston, chapelry of Garrigill and mining village of Nenthead....manor of Alston held by de Veteripont (Vipont) family from mid-12th century until early 15th century. Settled by trial in Chancery on Stapleton family 1426 and passed by marriage to Hiltons of Sunderland later in 15th century. Leases for 1,000 years granted to tenants by Henry Hilton 1611; he sold manor to Edward Radcliffe of Dilston (Northumb.) 1629. Forfeited to Crown 1716 after Jacobite rising and passed to Greenwich Hospital 1734; sold to Catholic Trust for Charitable Purposes 1964...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/alston-moor
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 289 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES