Boothby Roman Fortlet

  • Description

    "....Boothby Roman Fortlet was built late 1st century/early 2nd century. It measured 250ft and 170ft aligned NNE/SSW, about an acre in area, suggesting a garrison of about 250, 3 centuries. It was probably surrounded by a ditch with a beaten clay and wooden construction. The ditch has been identified as being 17ft wide and 6ft deep. A gate has been identified on the southern wall. It has been excavated once in 1933. Part of the northern part of the fortlet has been lost as a result of a landslide. At that stage, the River Irthing was the frontier and the site had a very good view to the North. After Hadrian’s Wall was built 2 miles to the north it was abandoned as redundant...."
  • Owner

    Tynedale Hadrian's Wall Group
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.u3ahadrianswall.co.uk/wordpress/bootlhby-roman-fortlet-with-a-view-to-the-north/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 months ago
    Viewed: 81 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES