Description"The church is also referred to as Martindale Old Church. It is in the most wonderful lonely setting and is almost unrestored. This is the view from the churchyard looking up Martindale - see also https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5896202 In the foreground is the Birkett Tomb. Richard Birkett was the first vicar of Martindale after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. He was inducted into the living of St Martin, Martindale on 16th June 1633 and died on Christmas Day 1699 after 67 years. He left a sum of £100 “towards the better maintenance of a godly, sober and religious Minister at Martindale Chapell”." Photo by Marathon, 2018.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5896203
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 weeks, 1 day ago
Viewed: 20 times
Picture Taken: 2018-08-24