CHURCH OF ST OSWALD - Ravenstonedale - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. Tower rebuilt 1738, rest of church 1744; some dressed stone from earlier church re-used. Snecked rubble with rusticated quoins. Graduated slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, wide aiseless nave, and chancel. Single tall storey with west gallery. C19 plank door in segment-headed architrave, with segmental pediment, to west face of tower; chamfered surround to single-light 1st floor window; re-used C16 elliptical-headed 3-light openings under hoodmould to 2nd stage.....Back of pew 97 in gallery incorporates re-used panels, carved with texts, dated 1633. Square painted panel (set diagonally), formerly a clock face, fastened to wall in lower ground floor, dated 1719 with inscription on brass plate: This clock was/given to this Church/by John Fothergill/of Brownber In the/Year 1719 Price Ten pounds. Painted text board to either side of chancel arch, northern dated 1747 but both may be earlier. George II coat-of-arms painted on panel opposite pulpit...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1311289
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 3 days ago
    Viewed: 21 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES