CHURCH OF ST PETER - Langwathby - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. C13 with C15 alterations, partly rebuilt in 1718 (dated with plaque and churchwarden's names) with porch dated 1836. Red sandstone rubble walls, the 1718 walls of dressed red sandstone with eaves cornice and V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; west twin bellcote. Red sandstone roof on porch..... Other chancel walls are probably C15. The 1718 wall has blocked priest's doorway. 3-light C18 east window. Interior has 3-bay arcade of C13 pointed arches on rebuilt octagonal columns. C15 2-light west window now covered by porch. Late medieval open timber roof. Alms plaque 1703. 2 breast plates and helmet, used as parish armour, mounted on wall. C18 baluster font...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1145310
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 4 days ago
    Viewed: 21 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES