Pardshaw Meeting History

  • Description

    "A meeting of Friends, the first to be settled in Cumberland, began in a private house in 1653. As this meeting grew in numbers, it could not be contained indoors and met for many years in the open air on Pardshaw Crag. In time the meetings during the winter were divided amongst Friends' houses in Lamplugh, Pardshaw, Whinfell and Eaglesfield. Eventually, in 1672, a meeting house was built at Pardshaw and this was enlarged in 1705. No traces of this building now remain. In 1728 a decision was taken to build a new meeting house in the Guards near Pardshaw Hall, including a women's meeting house and a walled burial ground. Some of the materials from the original meeting house were used in the construction of the new building..."
  • Owner

    Cumberland Quakers
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumberlandquakers.org.uk/local-meetings/pardshaw/history/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 314 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES