Pardshaw Quaker Meeting House, stable and schoolroom and walls to burial ground

  • Description

    "....Quaker meeting house and burial ground walls, 1729; stable, 1731 and school, 1745. Minor C20 alterations.....The meeting house declined in the C20 and closed in 1923. In 1932 it was adapted for use as a youth hostel, and during the Second World War as it was used by Young Friends. From the 1950s the buildings were used as a Quaker holiday centre and then as the Young Friends National Pardshaw Centre. Electricity was installed in 1978 and other late-C20 improvements to the larger meeting room included a new timber floor and the insertion of a kitchen and a sleeping platform. At the same time some of the stalls within the stable were adapted for showers and washing facilities...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1326883
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 299 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES