Cockermouth Meeting History

  • Description

    "As a result of an increase in numbers at the meeting in Pardshaw, and for the convenience of Friends living in Cockermouth, a meeting house was provided there in 1688. The meeting house was enlarged in 1719 to accommodate quarterly meetings and in 1756 a gallery was provided. This building was demolished in 1782 and a new meeting house was built on the site. It was large enough to take quarterly meetings and had two meeting rooms and seating for 285 Friends. Cloakrooms were added in 1840. The meeting house occupied the full width of the plot in Kirkgate and had a large burial ground behind it. When this building was about a century old, its state of decay and excessive size became a burden and it was decided to replace it with a new building in 1883....."
  • Owner

    Cumberland Quakers
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumberlandquakers.org.uk/local-meetings/cockermouth/history/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 160 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES