Quaker Meeting House - Alston - List Entry

  • Description

    "...Quakerism was established in Alston in 1668 and the meeting house was built in 1732, with an attached walled burial ground, funded by contributions from the Friends...The local Quaker community came largely from the dual economies of livestock farming and lead mining; the Quaker-run London Lead Company had an influential role in Alston Moor as a whole, with its aims and ethos reflecting Quaker values, such as improving worker’s living conditions, and providing schooling and reading rooms. By 1762 it was apparent the size of the building was insufficient to meet the Friends’ needs. In order to enlarge the meeting house, work was undertaken and completed in 1764 to raise the height of the walls, build a gallery, and insert a new two-light mullioned window to light the loft space...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1144960
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 164 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES