High Hesket War Memorial

  • Description

    ".... The monument was intentionally placed in a conspicuous position adjacent to the churchyard gate, where it would not only act as a focal point of remembrance, but also as a reminder of loss to travellers on the main Penrith to Carlisle road. It was unveiled and dedicated by the Reverend J G Leonard, vicar of Raughton Head on 25 July 1920, at an open air service conducted by Reverend J Wilson that was attended by over 1,000 people. Following the Second World War, the names of an additional six men who fell in that conflict were added to the memorial. Unusually, the inscription uses the term '2nd Great War'. The carved martial symbol of a sheathed sword and the rough-hewn base to the cross, are typical features of memorials produced by Messrs Beattie & Co....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1464082
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 12 months ago
    Viewed: 90 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES