Jobs set to replace books at library which has been open for over 130 years

Related Pages


Millom Library


Millom

  • Description

    The Mail, 30th January 2020. "...The library in St George’s Road, Millom, faces a possible move to the Millom Hub, next to Millom School on the edge of town, to make way for a 100-job office for Sellafield nuclear workers....The Millom Free Library and Reading Room started life as a working men's club in 1882. By 1887 the club had failed and the ground floor rooms reopened as a library. In 1901 the library was held 7,500 books and lent out 180 each day to the town's population of close to 11,000 - boosted by construction workers for the Outer Barrier sea defences at Hodbarrow iron ore mines. Its first librarian, Alfred Hutchinson, stayed in charge for more than half a century until 1944....."
  • Owner

    The Mail
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.nwemail.co.uk/features/18198768.jobs-set-replace-books-library-open-130-years/#gallery2
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 days, 5 hours ago
    Viewed: 25 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES