Sir James Knott Memorial Flats, Tynemouth

  • Description

    "Knott’s Flats is an enormous building which looms like a Castle over the infamous ship-wrecking reef in the Tyne estuary, Black Middens. This colossal block, which stands six storeys tall and snakes almost 900 feet from west to east, was built in the 1930s, thanks to funds left by Sir James Knott, to house families displaced by slum clearance around the Fish Quay. Completed in 1938, Knott’s Flats featured the use of fire-resistant materials throughout, unusual for those days, and the huge cellars designed as air raid shelters; they were probably the first-ever flats to be built with special features to help tenants withstand air raids." Photo by David Dixon, 2019.
  • Owner

    David Dixon
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6463237
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 2 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 421 times
    Picture Taken: 2019-04-29
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES