Knotts Flats, Tynemouth

  • Description

    "The flats were opened in 1939, and are an example of the progressive 1930s architecture style that London County Council was using for flats at the time. They were designed by Tasker and Child in collaboration with Charles Holden, best known for designing many London Underground stations during the 1920s and 1930s, and replaced the Duke of Northumberland's 1758-built Percy Square. They were intended to be populated, in the main, by families from the area of North Shields with a seagoing connection. Tyne Boys Club, established in 1949, started as a boxing club in the basement of the flats. Sir James Knott was a shipbuilder and philanthropist, who spent most of his life in the area and the flats were intended as a memorial to him. For a selection of detailed free to download walking routes in the area visit www.northtynesidewalks.co.uk" Photo by Geoff Holland, 2021.
  • Owner

    Geoff Holland
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6761866
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 2 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 992 times
    Picture Taken: 2021-02-23
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES