Vindobala Roman Fort, Rudchester

Related Pages


Vindobala


Rudchester

  • Description

    "There is little now to see of the remains of Vindobala apart from a raised area of grass and low banks hinting to the buildings below. It was the fourth fort from the eastern end of Hadrian's Wall. Excavations in 1897, 1902 and 1924 revealed much of its history. It was built as part of the Wall and was in use for some 400 years. Around the fort there was an extensive civilian settlement. The photo shows the southern, largest part of the fort which is cut in two by the Military Road built on the foundations of Hadrian's Wall" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2465993
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 384 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-06-17
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES