CHURCH OF ST ANNE - Ings - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish Church dated 1743 on plaque, restored and North Transept added in 1877. Roughly coursed rubble walls, sandstone quoins and window surrounds, graduated greenslate roof and stone ridge. Stone urns to each corner. 6 bays. Continuous nave and chancel. Square tower at West end with corniced ashlar parapet surmounted by 8 stone flaming torches. West entrance in base of tower has plain classical doorcase with broken pediment enclosing the coat of arms of Robert Bateman of Reston Hall (q.v.). A plaque over the door is inscribed "This Chapel was begun to be built Anno Domini 1743 at ye sole expense of Mr Robert Bateman Merchant of Leghorn Born in this Hamlet but He Dying suddenly the same year the work was ordered and appointed to be finished by his Executors". ...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1281325
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 165 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES