Milestone near Casterton

  • Description

    "Early 19th century milestone on the A683. Inscribed S / 9 and K/L 1.3/4 and on the base CASTERTON. On Sedbergh to Greta Bridge turnpike road, 1762. Turnpikes were administered by turnpike trusts, which were authorised by private act of parliament. The trusts laid down a network of soundly constructed roads throughout the country, replacing parochial maintenance system on many highways and substantially improving communications. The first English turnpike roads were authorised by an act of 1663. By the 1800s there were about 8000 tollgates and 22,000 miles of highway. The trusts engineers, notably John Macadam, constructed many new roads, which by the 1800s were being utilized by an efficient stagecoach system. However, railway expansion after 1830 led to the rapid decline of stagecoaches and turnpike revenue." Photo by Maigheach-gheal, 2010.
  • Owner

    Maigheach-gheal
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1809551
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 9 months, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 63 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-03-24
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES