The White House - Appleby - List Entry

  • Description

    "....The White House is thought to have been constructed in the early C18, when it occupied a single burgage plot owned by the Morland Family. It was three storeys with a cellar and attic and an entrance front to the west, street elevation. In 1753 the property was acquired by the Lowther Family and is depicted on two 1754 plans of Appleby, described as 'Burgage house, back Kitchen, Stable and Garden'. Later in 1754 extensive building work was undertaken to improve the existing house and provide a home for John Robinson, attorney and man of business of the Lowther family...From 1780 to 1793 the White House was home to John Robinson’s brother Jeremiah, also a lawyer. In the late C18 the rear wing was extended to the east to provide a dedicated stable; at the same time a detached outbuilding was constructed opposite, and garden pavilions were added to the east ends of the rear wing and this outbuilding. In the late C18 or early C19 a summerhouse in Gothick style..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1319012
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 119 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES