CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL - Shap - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish Church. Probably dates from C12. Later additions and alterations: C13 side aisle; 1765 chancel rebuilt; 1828 west tower rebuilt; 1898-9 extensive restoration with north vestry and chancel rebuilt and south chapel added (date stone on south side). Ashlar and snecked rubble on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses.....Windows mainly multi-light (some original C16); single-light window to each end of north nave elevation. Interior: South arcade of 4 semicircular arches carried between stone columns with moulded plinths and capitals. 1899 carved wooden pulpit in north-east corner of nave. Re-used C17 communion rail with turned balusters. Octagonal stone pillar font at east end of south aisle presented by Mrs Bindloss in 1880; cylindrical polished granite font at west end of south aisle presented by Shap Granite Co. in 1899...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1159061
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 10 months ago
    Viewed: 58 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES