1-5, ELLISON PLACE - Newcastle - List Entry

  • Description

    "Nos. 1-5 consecutive G.V. II Terrace of houses, in use as Polytechnic buildings, offices and a surgery at the time of listing. Circa 1810. English bond brick with painted ashlar plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roofs. 5 houses of 3 storeys and attics, from 5 to 3 bays. Nos. one and 2 have central ashlar porches an classical style, that to No. one having arch, pilasters and cornice and blocking course; No.2 has pilasters and open segmental pediment....Porch of No.1 has plaque inscribed 'Matthew White Esq., Mayor/Joseph Atkinson Esq., Sheriffe/1692. Interior of No.1 has Venetian stair landing window in Ionic case with arms of Newcastle in glass. Historical note: No. one was the Mansion House of Newcastle in the C19. No. 5 was the home of William Boutland Wilkinson, an early patentee of reinforced concrete in the modern sense...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1320379
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 3 years ago
    Viewed: 270 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES