Low Wray: St Margaret

  • Description

    "...St Margaret’s church was built in 1856 as an estate church for the recently completed Low Wray Castle (1840-7). James Dawson, a surgeon from Liverpool, was responsible for the Castle and complex and it has been suggested that the architect for all the buildings may have been H P Horner. Horner was based in Dawson’s home town of Liverpool, which provides a possible link. Pevsner states that Horner was responsible for the castle certainly but also gives an earlier date for the church at 1845. The church was consecrated in 1861 by the Bishop of Carlisle and assigned parochial boundaries. There are several gravestones of local interest including James Dawson and his wife Margaret. The dedication of St Margaret of Antioch may be a connection to Margaret Dawson. The church has a historical link with the National Trust; Canon Rawnsley, a cousin of James Dawson, was appointed as incumbent in 1878 and went on to be one of the founding members of the National Trust...."
  • Owner

    Church of England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 283 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES