St Margaret's of Antioch, Low Wray

  • Description

    The hamlet of Low Wray can be found on the secluded back road from Hawkshead to Ambleside,and the church here, St Margaret's of Antioch was built by James Dawson in 1856. Mr.Dawson also built Wray Castle which stands next door to the church. The church was built by him for use as a chapel for his family, servants, estate workers and friends. The church was consecrated in 1861. Beatrix Potter whose family rented Wray Castle for their lengthy summer holidays also attended the church here. The church is no longer used for services, having been deconsecrated several decades ago.
  • Owner

    Bill Cumming
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44795158@N06/50181559898/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 289 times
    Picture Taken: 2020-07-19T13:47:36
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES