Church of St Margaret, Low Wray

  • Description

    "The Church of St Margaret of Antioch was built in 1856. It stands within a walled graveyard, behind http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4006903. The church was built for use by the Dawson family at Wray Castle, as well as their servants and friends. It is dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch, the patron saint of women in childbirth - possibly reflecting Dawson's professional career as an obstetrician. When the estate was broken up in 1927, the church was not part of the land donated to the National Trust. This church is no longer open for worship, and is now privately owned. It is a Grade II listed building (English Heritage Building ID: 76761 http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-76761-church-of-st-margaret-wray-claife-cumbria British Listed Buildings)." Photo by David Dixon, 2014.
  • Owner

    David Dixon
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4006942
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 276 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-05-25
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES