CHURCH OF ST GILES - Durham - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. Part of the hospital of St Giles founded 1112 AD; north nave wall c.1114; chancel late C12; tower early C13 and early C15; c.1873 south aisle and vestry, north porch. Sandstone, most coursed and squared, with ashlar dressings; porch snecked sandstone; plinth..... Font in tower has large lead-lined bowl on round pedestal with cushion capital. In chancel wood effigy of John Heath of Kepier, died 1591, in armour; head rests on cock-crested helmet, feet on scroll containing two skulls with motto 'Hodie mihi cras tibi'; Heath arms on shield hanging from renewed wooden chest. Porch contains fragment of tegulated coped medieval grave-cover...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1159991
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 58 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES