MURTON COLLIERY EXPLOSION – 1942

  • Description

    "Murton, Durham. 26th. June, 1942. The Murton Colliery was very extensive and had been mined for about one hundred years prior to the explosion. It was in the heart of the Durham coalfield seven miles north east of Durham City and six miles south of Sunderland. It had three winding shafts, the East, Middle and West shafts. It was owned by the South Hetton Coal Company Limited with Mr. G. Raw as agent and Mr. W.O. Blenkinsopp as manger, Mr. J. Grogan as undermanager in charge of the Main Coal Landing from which the Main Coal and Five Quarter seams and the Polka area of the Low Main seam were wound. There were two undermangers in charge of the upper and lower landings. The mine employed nearly 2,000 persons underground and 452 were at work at the time of the explosion with 270 in the Main Coal Landing. The mine was worked throughout by safety lamps......"
  • Owner

    Northern Mine research Society
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/accidents-disasters/durham/murton-colliery-explosion-murton-1942/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 months, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 59 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES