CLEVELAND BUILDINGS - Middlesbrough - List Entry

  • Description

    "Pair of houses, c.1835, with mid C19 left extension and c.1960 rear extension. Brick in English garden wall bond, with painted stone plinth and dressings. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 6 windows. Renewed 6-panel door, and overlight with margin lights, in fluted Tuscan doorcase with panelled reveals. Sculptured seahorse, and flagpole, on cornice. Sash windows with glazing bars, wedge lintels and sill strings. Chamfered quoins at right end. Shallow-pitched hipped roof, transverse ridge stack and stack on right pitch. 2-bay right return and 2-bay extension in keeping. Blocked circular opening for clock, between first and 2nd floors and first and 2nd bays, now relocated in similar position at junction with extension. Circular blue plaque, at right of entrance, records: "H.W.F. BOLCKOW and JOHN VAUGHAN founders of the CLEVELAND IRON TRADE lived here 1841-1860"...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1312710
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Splat
    Last modified: 11 months, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 108 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES