Houghton War Memorial

  • Description

    "...First World War memorial, 1922. MATERIALS: grey granite. DESCRIPTION: Houghton War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St John’s Church, Brunstock Lane, Houghton, Cumbria. It is prominently situated close to the churchyard entrance and by the path leading to the church entrance. It comprises a wheel-head grey granite cross with a sheathed sword in relief at the head, on a short shaft, two-tiered plinth and two-stepped base. The plinth and upper step of the base bear the inscriptions in relief and incised lettering. The inscription reads: 1914 – 1918/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1457983
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 141 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES