SIZERGH CASTLE - List Entry

  • Description

    "Castle. South Tower, probably C15, (previously thought to be C14 and the earliest building on the site) appears to have been added to earlier hall with crosswing which forms the basis of the North Tower. Original pre-C15 external entrance to Hall is at ground floor level on East side. Remains of wall under present verandah to East apparently date from alterations to enlarge the Hall carried out between Machell's record of the building in 1670 and an eyewitness account in 1770. Alterations to accommodate carriage entrance carried out during the C19. Subsidiary wings to the West mid C16 with later alterations including refenestration of North wing during C19. Limestone rubble walls, wings partially rendered. Pitched roofs slated, with decorative barge boards (probably C17) and stone ball finials, embattled roofs leaded: leadwork to South Tower turret dated 1749....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1318962
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 months ago
    Viewed: 20 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES