Description"Horsley village has two pubs both on the south side of Hexham Road. The Crown is the grander of the two buildings. It was built in 1805 as a coaching inn on the old Hexham Road in ashlar stone and decorated by classic features such as the semi-circular stone hood above the front door. Its symmetry survives in spite of the plethora of signs. Its original sixteen pane sliding sash windows have survived. In contrast, The Lion & Lamb was originally a farm and is not as crisp a piece of architecture. However, its vernacular style is enhanced by its surviving sandstone flagged roof and Roman stones makes the building of equal interest and merit. Horsley Conservation Area Character Appraisal, Tynedale Council (2009)." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2013.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3386578
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 months, 1 week ago
Viewed: 24 times
Picture Taken: 2013-03-28